Skip to main content

Logo for N.C. Cooperative Extension N.C. Cooperative Extension Homepage

Commercial Pesticide Licensing Classes

en Español

El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.

Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.

English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.

Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.

Collapse ▲

Do you or your employees need to obtain a commercial Pesticide License? There is an upcoming Pesticide School and Exam on 9/28 in Mills River at the NC State research station. There is a class on the material and then the test is administered. 

To apply pesticides (insecticides, herbicides or fungicides) to another person’s property for a fee you must have a Commercial Ground Applicator’s Pesticide License issued by the NC Department of Agriculture. The North Carolina Pesticide Law of 1971 requires licensing for individuals applying any pesticide for compensation. The pesticide applicator is required to pass two tests: the Core Exam and a Category Exam. For you, this is the Category L Turf and Ornamentals.

Here is the in-person Exam Location Schedule for 2023 . They will plan another one in Mills River next spring.
* NOTE: Pesticide Schools are offered by NC STATE UNIVERSITY. They are not required in order to sit for the exam which is administered by the NC Department of Agriculture. School registrations and Exam fees are paid separately. Pay for EXAMS at the exam site via CHECK or MONEY ORDER, no Cash, Credit or Debit Cards. Online, you can find payment and information for Pesticide Schools or call (919) 515-3113; once you are registered for a Pesticide School, you don’t need to register for the test, you automatically have a spot for the test.
You can order your study manuals online